Regardless of what life throws at us, we can adapt to any challenge while still maintaining a style that is all our own. The impact of personal style goes far beyond making a good first impression. Great style is also about approaching each day with confidence, and the ability to feel beautiful in what we are wearing. One staple accessory that puts the finishing touch on your confident, beautiful, and polished look is the handbag.
We can never get enough of, nor can we have too many, handbags. In addition to carrying your essentials, handbags are also an easy way to incorporate the latest trends into your wardrobe, look put-together, and show off your personality.
A handbag can flatter your shape almost as well as the right pair of jeans. The key is to find a bag that is in proportion to your figure. It can not only knock off pounds visually, it will also polish your style. If you are trying to play down aspects of your particular body type, choose a handbag shape that is the opposite of your body silhouette. In general, the rounder your figure, the more structured your handbag should be. HSN has this guide to handbags for different body types:
The size of your handbag should be proportionate to your body type:
- Short and petite women appear taller with small handbags and shorter with large handbags
- Tall and slim women appear larger with small handbags and look best with midsize, large and oversized styles
The shape of a handbag should be opposite of the person’s body type:
- Short women look taller carrying a long rectangular handbag
- Slim and tall women benefit from a round handbag
The length of a handbag – where the bottom hits the body – emphasizes that area [where it lands on the body]:
- Short handbags make [large] busts appear larger, so choose styles with longer straps to avert attention
- Most women look good wearing handbags that hang to the mid-torso
Choosing the right handbag comes down to considering your body type, personal style and fashion instincts. When shopping for a handbag, remember that you don’t have to follow your grandmother’s mantra, “Your purse must always match your shoes.” Have fun! Play with different styles, shapes, patterns and colors and you will find the perfect handbag for you.